PJSC “Quadra - Power Generation” was established in 2005 during the reform of Russia’s electric power sector. However, the history of the company began much earlier and was closely related with the history of the country.
More than a century ago, one of the plants which are today part of PJSC “Quadra - Power Generation”, generated the first kilowatts of electricity in the city of Kursk. In 1901, the Joint-Stock Company “Kursk Tram” concluded an agreement with the Municipal Duma for the construction of the first current system in Kursk. A brick building which was analogous to a hangar, was constructed in the center of Kursk, on the bank of the river Tuskar. The building roomed three steam machines of 360 kilowatts in installed capacity. Startup of the plant provided light to private subscribers of the central part of Kursk, and turned on electric lanterns in the streets Moskovskaya and Khersonskaya. This is the moment of the beginning of the age-long history of the Kursk TPP-4.
The following important stage in the history of production capacities of PJSC “Quadra - Power Generation” was the State Plan of Electrification of Russia (GOELRO), which was adopted in 1920 at the VIII All-Russia Council and stipulated construction of 30 power plants (20 TPPs and 10 HPPs) of 1.75 million kWh in total capacity, within 10-15 years. Six electric power plants included today in the structure of the energy company, were constructed under the GOELRO Plan: the Belgorod TPP (the Belgorod Region), Bryansk SDPS (the Bryansk branch), Alexin TPP, Efremov TPP and Novomoskovsk SDPS (the Tula branch) and “Smolenskteploset” (former name - Smolensk TPP-1, Smolensk branch).
The first project of GOELRO included nowadays in the structure of PJSC “Quadra - Power Generation” is the Bryansk SDPS. The Bryansk SDPS is the result of the first Soviet five-year plan. The place for a new plant was found 25 km away from the city of Bryansk, near the plant Belye Berega of the Moscow-Kiev-Voronezh Railway on the bank of the river Snezhet. Construction of one of the first large energy projects of the country proceeded at an accelerated tempo; on 14 December 1931, the Bryansk SDPS was among operating industrial enterprises. The SDPS reached the designed capacity of 2 thousand kW in a year.
The history of the Novomoskovsk SDPS is as interesting as the previous one. A critical decision was made during its construction - to use only domestic equipment (the USSR had to buy core equipment and auxiliaries for energy stations abroad before 1934). On 24 August 1934, the first Soviet turbine generator of 50 MW in capacity was included in the network. Several years after, in 1940, the Novomoskovsk SDPS reached the designed capacity of 350 MW and became the largest thermal plant in Europe and the Soviet Union.
However, the further development of the energy system of the country was interrupted by the Great Patriotic War. A part of the equipment units of the company’s power plants were destroyed, another part was dismantled and evacuated to eastern areas of the country, a lot of energy equipment units were taken out by fascist aggressors. Many energy specialists were called up to the front or joined guerrilla groups. They were changed by 15-year old teenagers and women who spent several consecutive days at their workplaces.
Losing their positions, fascist armies tried to blow up some of power plants. For example, in 1943, the building of the Smolensk TPP was destroyed. Its pipes and columns sloped and energy equipment was damaged as a result of the powerful explosion. The plant turned into a heap of stones and rubble. The cost of the destroyed structures and damaged equipment was nearby four million rubles.
The Kursk TPP-4 was rescued from its destruction by the operator of the turbine shop Voronov. At the risk of his life, the energy specialist cut the firing cable leading to the explosive compound, which was installed under turbine #1 of the plant.
After liberation of the cities of the central part of our country from the German fascist armies, energy specialists started restoration of the energy facilities immediately - electricity was required at plants, factories which were rebuilt from ruins, and in houses of usual inhabitants who returned to peaceful life. During post-war years, the energy sector of the Central Part of the country developed actively, and new thermal and electric grids were constructed.